Becoming a mother is one of the most exciting and challenging experiences in a woman’s life. It is also a time of great physical and emotional changes, and one of the most common post-partum issues that women face is hair loss. Many new mothers experience hair loss after giving birth, which can be a frustrating and distressing experience. In this article, we will discuss the causes, symptoms, and prevention tips for post-partum hair loss.
Causes of Postpartum Hair Loss
Postpartum hair loss is a natural occurrence that affects many women. During pregnancy, the hormone levels in a woman’s body change dramatically, leading to thicker, fuller hair. This is due to increased levels of estrogen, which prolong the growth phase of the hair cycle, resulting in less shedding
After giving birth, hormone levels drop dramatically, causing the hair to return to its normal growth cycle. This sudden change can lead to a significant increase in hair shedding, which is known as postpartum hair loss. The shedding can be more noticeable in some women than others and can last for several months and even more than a year.
Symptoms of Postpartum Hair Loss
Postpartum hair loss can cause a noticeable thinning of the hair on the scalp, and it can occur in patches or all over the scalp. Some women may also experience hair breakage and dryness, which can make the hair look dull and lifeless.
Prevention Tips for Postpartum Hair Loss
While postpartum hair loss is a natural occurrence, there are several things that women can do to minimize its effects:
1. Maintain a healthy diet: Eating a well-balanced diet can help ensure that your hair is getting the nutrients it needs to grow strong and healthy. Foods rich in protein, iron, and vitamins A, C, and E are particularly beneficial for hair health.
2. Avoid harsh hair treatments: Chemical treatments, such as hair coloring and perms, can weaken the hair and make it more prone to breakage. Avoiding these treatments can help keep your hair healthy and strong.
3. Be gentle with your hair: Avoid brushing or combing your hair when it is wet, as this can cause breakage. Use a wide-toothed comb or a brush with soft bristles to gently detangle your hair.
4. Get enough rest: Getting enough sleep is essential for overall health, and it can also help promote healthy hair growth. Aim for seven to eight hours of sleep per night.
5. Reduce stress: Stress can cause hormonal imbalances, which can contribute to hair loss. Finding ways to manage stress, such as meditation or yoga, can help promote healthy hair growth.
Professional Treatment at M Aesthetics
At M-Aesthetic Clinic, we are a medical aesthetic clinic in Singapore that specializes in hair restoration treatments for post-pregnancy.
All our hair loss treatments are non-surgical. We recommend treating it through different pathways such as treatments, medications, and supplements, which will help increase hair growth and thickness and reduce hair loss in the quickest way possible.
Here are our treatments
1. Regenera Activa – an innovative NON-SURGICAL hair loss treatment that uses your own growth factors, progenitor cells and nutrients to stimulate hair growth, prevent hair loss and thicken/ strengthen existing hair follicles.
– increase hair growth
– thicken existing & strengthen existing hair
– stimulate the hair follicles to regrow, thicken and multiply.
– Penetration of nutrients to stimulate growth
Studies have shown that these results can be seen as early as 1-month post treatment.
With a patented Pulsed Magnetic Radiofrequency technology, waves of Pulsed Magnetic RF are delivered into the scalp to stimulate the hair follicles and improve blood supply to the hair follicles
This activates the hair follicles to regrow and strengthen resulting in stronger, thicker hair.
A novel treatment for hair loss, this combines the Laser Assisted Delivery technology of the Thulium Laser to deliver PDRN to the hair follicles to encourage hair regrowth.
PDRN is a well-researched product that enhances cell regeneration and promotes healing via purified DNA. Combined with nutrients specifically to promote hair growth, this is a powerful serum that promotes hair growth and thickening.
-Improvement in scalp condition
-Allow nutrients to be absorbed better into the scalp
-Aims to achieve thicker, strong hair
-Addresses hair loss and scalp issues at the cellular level
In conclusion, postpartum hair loss is a common occurrence that affects many women after giving birth. While it can be distressing, there are several prevention tips that women can follow to minimize its effects. Maintaining a healthy diet, avoiding harsh hair treatments, being gentle with your hair, getting enough rest, and reducing stress can all help promote healthy hair growth.
Speak to us if you are experiencing postpartum hair loss and are looking for professional treatment options.