Melasma Laser Treatment Singapore
Prices start from $108
Safe and Effective Melasma Treatments Conducted by Singapore Professionals
What is Melasma & What Are The Causes of It?
Melasma is a chronic pigment disorder which causes dark, discolored patches on the skin that typically affects Asian females. It’s also known as chloasma, or the “mask of pregnancy”. This condition is much more common in women than in men, though men can get it too. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, 90% of people who develop Melasma are women.
To date, there is no exact cause that has been found that directly causes this condition. At M Aesthetic Clinic, however, we are proud to deliver a highly effective Melasma treatment regime that can reverse the effects of Melasma as much as possible. This allows those affected by the condition to regain their confidence and feel good about themselves again.
Although there is no exact cause found, it is thought that several factors may predispose a person to develop this condition. These include:
- Exposure to UV rays
- Low thyroid hormone levels
- Hormonal (this is especially so because it typically involves women at and around pregnancy, post-pregnancy, peri-menopausal and in younger women when they are on contraceptives)
Do note that men can also develop Melasma, though it is more uncommon as compared to women.
What Are The Symptoms of Melasma?
One will notice patches of discoloration and these patches are darker than usual skin colour. The face is a commonly affected area and it may be symmetrical, with matching marks on both sides of the face. Other areas of the body which are often exposed to sun, can also develop melasma.
Melasma can also appear on the:
- Bridge of the nose
- Upper lips
Although Melasma is benign and does not affect your body adversely, it often have a psychological impact and commonly affects one’s self confidence and self esteem. Left untreated, Melasma can progress to become bigger, darker patches.
What Are The Types of Melasma?
There are 3 types of Melasma: epidermal, dermal and mixed
- The Epidermal type is identified by the presence of excess melanin only in the superficial layers of the skin.
- Dermal melasma is distinguished by the presence of melanophages (cells that ingest melanin) throughout the dermis.
- The Mixed type includes both the epidermal and dermal type.
Causes And Risk Factors of Melasma
There is no clear evidence on what exactly causes melasma but there is a strong genetic predisposition in those affected by Melasma.
Other causes/ triggers include:
- Estrogen and progesterone sensitivity are also associated with Melasma
- Hormonal treatment: Birth control pills that contain Estrogen and Progesterone, Hormone treatments
- Exposure to UV rays / Sun
- Thyroid disease: Hypothyroidism
How does this condition look like and what areas does it affect?
Melasma are brown patches on the skin and may have a vascular component to it. It typically affects the forehead, nose, cheeks, upper lips and jawline.
Can it get worse?
Indeed, it can! It can progress to become bigger patches on the face.
Tips on how to care for Melasma
- Use sunscreen. It’s important to apply broad spectrum sunscreen (min SPF30) everyday.
- Avoid sun exposure. Try to avoid direct sun exposure, especially in the middle of the day. If you have to be outdoors, wear wide-brimmed hats and sunglasses.
- Use plant-based products. Products containing ingredients such as kojic acid and glycolic acid, as all may be used during pregnancy—but best to check with your doctor. It helps minimize the intensity and severity of Melasma by inhibiting pigment production.
- Avoid traditional skin-bleaching and lightening creams. Products containing hydroquinone, retinoids, and steroids are a big no-no during pregnancy.
What Are The Available Melasma Treatment Options?
There are multiple EFFECTIVE Melasma treatment options available that are able to reduce the appearance of Melasma, and control it from worsening.
However, if you are pregnant, it is advisable to start Melasma treatments after giving birth. Dr Ho Rui Ming has personally come up with several effective treatments throughout the years and performs them in the comfort of our professional Singapore clinic.
Proprietary lightening creams
Creams that have been carefully and specifically formulated to combat Melasma, dark spots and remove pigmentation.
Effective oral medications are used to target, lighten and treat Melasma.
Other lightening supplements include Heliocare Max 240 Purewhite Radiance.
It contains additional dose of Fernblock®, which is an excellent antioxidant property that is able to reduce free radicals by up to 50%, preventing the formation of hyperpigmentation caused by UV rays.
In a recent study conducted at the National Skin Centre, Singapore, 62% improvement in Melasma was observed when compared to baseline in just 12 weeks.
Furthermore, Purewhite Radiance Max 240 is enhanced with the exclusive blend of White Tech Complex where it controls and blocks the main enzyme that is responsible for melanin production. The blend in White Tech Complex consists of Pomegranate extract, L-Cystine, vitamin C and B3, all clinically proven to promote skin fairness and radiance
Combination of Different Lasers for Pigmentation and Melasma Treatment in Singapore
Developments and advancements in technology have introduced more options for non-surgical procedures especially in Laser Treatments. Apart from being very effective, these laser procedures often require no to almost minimal downtime and are quick and pain-free. Laser treatments may include ND YAG Lasers, 1064 nm lasers, QSwitch lasers etc. Here at M-Aesthetic Clinic, we utilise the Fotona PQX PICO Laser, Spectra XT Laser and Thulium BB Laser to treat Melasma.
Spectra XT Laser
One such laser treatment that can treat Melasma, which has no downtime, is the Spectra XT Brightening Laser Treatment or also known as the “Hollywood Peel”. This is a photo-enhancer based laser treatment that is performed using the Spectra XT ™ Laser.
The procedure is safe on all skin types and treats Melasma and pigmentation whilst brightening up your skin without any downtime.
It uses no harsh formulas or abrasive scrubbing tools, which means no bleeding and adverse chemical reactions; yet provides the lightning effects one would expect from a professional face peel.
How does it work?
The laser beams that are emitted penetrates into the deep skin layers and breaks up the pigmentation into smaller fragments. Subsequently, these smaller fragments of pigment can be more easily removed by our skin’s “scavenger” cells, thus, resulting in the lightening of Melasma.
What kind of improvement can I expect to see with this treatment?
- Treats Melasma and other pigmentation conditions
- Improves skin tone, texture and elasticity
- Brightens and tightens skin for a natural, well-rested look
- Reduces all types of acne
- Controls sebum production
- Reduces redness from inflamed acne
For optimal results, subsequent sessions of the Spectra XT Laser may be needed.
Thulium BB Laser
The Thulium BB Laser is a more intense Melasma laser treatment, pigmentation removal treatment , that also brightens the skin whilst improving the texture/ pores of the skin.
In South Korea, many call it the BB Laser because of its ability to improve the texture and tone of the skin, just like when applying BB cream to the skin.
The Thulium BB Laser is a sub-ablative Thulium 1927nm laser for skin resurfacing and rejuvenation. The laser’s wavelength penetrates to a level between the lower part of the epidermis and dermis where it is able to target Melasma, freckles, sunspots and age spots while renewing damaged skin and stimulating collagen production.
The wavelength penetrates the upper dermis while not causing the upper layer to peel.
What kind of improvement can I expect to see with this treatment?
- Improvement in Melasma and Pigmentation
- Skin brightening/ Fairer skin
- Smoother, younger looking skin
- Pore tightening
- Overall improvement in skin texture and tone
- Improvement in fine wrinkles
For a complete treatment of Melasma that targets the different pigmentation levels in the skin, the Thulium BB Laser can be combined together with the Spectra XT Laser to enhance and optimize results.
Topical treatments, oral medications and targeted technology-driven treatments can be combined to achieve the optimal results in the treatment of Melasma.
If you are facing these symptoms and want to find out the various Melasma treatment options, make an appointment with Dr Ho Rui Ming so that he can help you to come up with the most suitable and effective treatment plan!
Why Choose M-Aesthetic Clinic?
10+ Years of Experience
Trusted by 10,000+ Patients
Safe & Proven Results