Sometimes, even after trying out different dieting methods – cutting out carbs, keto diet or going vegan – you still find it difficult to lose those stubborn pockets of fats. At times like this, why not rely on the latest technology to help effectively reduce these stubborn pockets of fat.
This article will discuss tips on how to lose weight and tone up from our Medical Director of M-Aesthetic Clinic, Dr Ho Rui Ming.
Causes of Weight Gain:-
- Genetics: genetic components do affect your susceptibility to gaining weight.
- Engineered Junk Foods: Heavily processed foods contain additives that make people hard to resist such foods.
- Food Addiction: Eating behaviour causing higher input than output.
- Aggressive Marketing: Some food companies sometimes make misleading claims about their product(s).
- Insulin: An important hormone that regulates energy storage, among other things. One of the best ways to lower your insulin is to cut back on simple or refined carbohydrates while increasing fiber intake
- Certain Medications: Certain pharmaceutical drugs such as diabetic medication and antipsychotics can cause weight gain as a side effect
- Leptin Resistance: Leptin decreases food intake whilst increasing energy expenditure. Leptin resistance can be found in people with obesity.
- Food Availability: Junk food is available everywhere now. Shops display tempting foods where they are most likely to gain your attention.
For fat reduction, there are surgical and non-surgical options available in Singapore today. However, it is always important to take note of the pros and cons of surgical and non-surgical options before deciding which option is most appropriate for you.
Surgical Fat Reduction
Liposuction is a popular surgical fat reduction method to completely remove adipose fat cells in certain areas of the body. It is not necessarily performed to reduce body weight or remove cellulite as a treatment of obesity.
Rather, liposuction is to reshape certain areas of the body, and typically targets “problem areas” that do not respond well to diet and exercise.
The results become apparent after full recovery and this surgery can be done within a day. Another advantage is that more fat can be removed (up to an approximate limit of 5L) and the amount of fat removed can be measured.
It is a high risk procedure and these factors have to be taken into consideration before deciding whether to proceed with the procedure.
- Body contour irregularities: Your skin may appear uneven and “wavy” if uneven amounts of fat are removed, have poor skin elasticity or have abnormal healing.
- Numbness: You may experience temporary or permanent numbness around the area that is treated if there is trauma to the nerves during the surgery.
- Infection: As it is still a surgery that involves incisions, there will always be a risk of infection.
- Bruising / Swelling / Soreness after the surgery: These can last for weeks / months after the surgery.
- Pockets of fluid retention: Commonly called Seromas, may gather under the skin and will require surgical drainage.
- Fat embolism: This is when fat cells enters the blood vessels and cause obstruction. Obstruction can occur in the lungs, brain etc and can result in serious consequences even death.
- Puncture of the internal organs / intestines: This is another serious complication and if not picked up quick enough can result in death.
- Complications from anesthesia that can affect the heart and neurological system resulting in heart attacks, strokes and death.
Non-surgical Fat Reduction
On the other hand, a safer route will be Non-surgical options for fat reduction. It delivers results to reduce isolated pockets of “diet and exercise-resistant” fat, minus the downtime and side effects. This is the recommended option for most patients as it has a safer, more natural approach without the associative side effects of surgery.
The most common Non-surgical fat reduction treatments in Singapore are the TruSculpt ID and the CoolSculpt Fat Freezing.
What is the TruSculpt ID?
How does TruSculpt ID fat loss treatment work?
Fat cells are heated using Cutera’s™ patented monopolar radiofrequency technology until they are destroyed and naturally eliminated by our body. According to research, there is an average of 24-26% fat reduction after just one treatment session.
Multiple body areas can be simultaneously treated thanks to the system’s versatility. It also features Real-Time Temperature Control for clinically proven results, safety, and patient experience.
The TruSculpt ID delivers optimum heat to the entire fat layer to destroy the fat cells whilst maintaining a comfortable skin temperature – optimizing clinical efficacy and maintaining maximum patient comfort.
Cutera’s™ patented 2 MHz Monopolar RF: Low frequency and uniform delivery of RF technology, penetrates deep to treat the entire fat layers.
Real-Time Temperature Control: Skin temperature is continuously monitored and energy delivery is automatically adjusted to reach and maintain a therapeutic and optimal temperature of >45ºC for fat destruction, while maintaining 3-4ºC cooler than usual skin temperature for patient comfort.
12 Weeks After truSculpt iD Treatment: Average of 24-26% fat reduction
Fat-Heat Selectivity: Optimized energy delivery and heating enhances selective apoptosis/destruction of the subcutaneous adipose tissue.
An average of 24-26%% fat cells are irreversibly damaged and excreted from the body after the treatment.
What is the non-invasive procedure like?
During the non-invasive fat reduction procedure, the TruSculpt iD probes are placed on the areas of concern. The treatment then commences and patients will start to feel heat from the probes.
That being said, all of our patients have commented that it is akin to a hot-stone massage and is virtually painless.
After the procedure, the probes are removed and some pinkish-ness may be seen and will subside over 30 mins to an hour.
You may resume normal activities immediately after the procedure as there is no downtime.
Benefits of the TruSculpt iD
- Fast 15-minute treatment
- Single session correction for 24-26% Fat Reduction
- Able to TIGHTEN loose skin as well (2 in 1 procedure): the ONLY device that can do this
- Multiple body areas treated simultaneously
- Safe to treat over tattoos (unlike Laser Lipolysis which is also painful) and Skin Types V & VI
- Comfortable treatment and little/no downtime
- High patient satisfaction (96% says it’s worth it based on US Data)
- TruSculpt ID is clinically proven to cause inflammation and fat necrosis from beneath the dermis down to 1.5 cm in depth. The histological findings are complemented by clinical studies which show an average 24 – 26% fat reduction as measured by ultrasound.
TruSculpt ID is clinically proven to cause inflammation and fat necrosis from beneath the dermis down to 1.5 cm in depth. The histological findings are complemented by clinical studies which show an average 24 – 26% fat reduction as measured by ultrasound.
Cost of TruSculpt ID
As TruSculpt is armed with 7 fat-busting probes, it gives you the flexibility to only pay for the required number of probes used. Cost per probe for 1 session is from $250 (excl gst).
Clinical histology indicates that TruSculpt iD is clinical proven to cause inflammation and fat necrosis from beneath the dermis down to 1.5 cm in depth. The histological findings are complemented by clinical studies which show an average 24% fat reduction as measured by ultrasound.
Who is a suitable candidate for truSculpt iD?
Unlike other devices, truSculpt iD is a customized and tailored treatment that treats all body types and is not confined by tattoos, skin colour, BMI or skin with laxity. Everyone can use truSculpt iD to achieve their dream body.
When can one see results?
Results are visible after just one treatment, as early as the 4th-week post-treatment with maximum results of 24% fat reduction.
How many treatments are required?
Depending on the body fat percentage, 1 session can reduce up to 24% of fat. Additional treatments may be required to achieve each individual’s desired result.
Other recommendation & tips
Although, body slimming treatments are proven to reduce fat cells, we should still maintain a healthy, active lifestyle to avoid redepositing of fats. As mentioned earlier, non-surgical treatments are the safest route but it requires a bit of time for results, hence, patience is necessary when embarking on this journey.
Dr Ho believes that having a balanced lifestyle is the key take away. Being able to eat whatever you want, maintaining an active lifestyle such as taking evening or morning walks can bring positive results.
At the end of the day, everyone’s body is different, so try to listen to what your body has to say.
If you are facing problems with stubborn pockets of fats, get in touch with us so Dr Ho Rui Ming can bring you through the journey of explaining how the TruSculpt ID can help and be customised to bring the most effective results.
Book an appointment today to find out more.