With the advancement in technology, acne scars can now be treated easily with laser treatments. However, it is important to know that there are different types of acne scars, and acne scar laser treatments can most effectively treat certain Depressed Acne Scars & Pigmented Scars.
Types of Acne Scars
1.Depressed Acne Scar (indented): loss of tissue and tethering of the overlying skin from the scars, resulting in an indentation on the surface of the skin
2.Rolling Scars: Wide base, rounded edges
3.Ice Pick Scars: Small entry point with sharp steep edges; like a “V”
4.Boxcar Scars: Wider base, sharply demarcated edges; like a box. They can be superficial or deep.
5. Pigmented scars: Dark spots /discolouration marks, usually red, brown in colour.
6. Hypertrophic Acne Scar (raised): overstimulation of collagen during wound healing will result in a raised scar form.
10 Facts about Acne Scar Laser Treatment
To attain effective results and avoid side effects, it’s important to know these basic facts before you have laser treatments for acne scars. Effective acne scar laser treatments in Singapore are the Advanced ECO2 Fractional Laser Treatment and Spectra XT Laser Treatment.
Advanced ECO2 Fractional Laser
Spectra XT Laser
1. Laser treatment will not get rid of a scar 100%.
Laser treatment can effectively treat Box, Rolling Scars & Pigmented Scars. It can also :
- Reduce raised scar thickness and “hardness”/ ”density”
- Increase your range of motion if a scar limits movement
Laser treatment can also make a scar less noticeable, however, it cannot get rid of a depressed scar 100%. For better results, laser treatments are usually combined with other Acne Scar Removal Treatments such as Subscision, TCA CROSS, Fillers and Microneedle Radiofrequency.
2. A medical consultation is a must before any laser treatment.
A professional medical consultation is of utmost importance, as the dermatologist or aesthetic doctor needs to personally assess your skin condition, understand your lifestyle habits and then can personalise a treatment plan to suit you.
To treat a scar effectively, the person performing your laser treatment must consider your skin type, characteristics of your scar, and your overall health.
It’s also important for your dermatologist to know what results in you expect from treatment.
At M-Aesthetic Clinic, Dr Ho Rui Ming believes that all Acne Scars and every individual is unique, hence, a consultation is the most important step in treating Acne Scars.
A consultation also benefits you as you will understand the type of acne scars you have, and the suitable treatments available and its’ side effects.
3. Results will depend on the skills of the person performing the laser treatment.
Laser treatments have hundreds of different settings which give different effects, and hence it is very important that the person performing the treatment is a medical professional that is experienced with treating acne scars.
If the person performing your laser treatment lacks medical expertise and specialized knowledge of the skin, laser treatments will not give you the results you seek and most often at times, bring detrimental effects, such as burns, unnecessary hyperpigmentation and over-sensitive skin.
4. Sun protection is very important before and after laser treatment.
If you have been exposed to the sun and have developed a sunburn, your doctor will not be able to treat you. Performing a laser treatment on sunburnt skin can cause burns or cause hyperpigmentation to your skin.
After laser treatment, you’ll need to protect your skin from the sun until your skin heals. Sunscreen of a least SPF 30 is a must.
5. You may need to make a few lifestyle changes before treatment.
To heal well, minimise side effects and get the best results from a laser treatment, it is advisable that you:
- Quit smoking for at least 2 weeks before laser treatment.
- Stop using skincare products that contain a retinoid or glycolic acid for 2 weeks.
- Take medication to prevent getting cold sores if you’re prone to developing cold sores.
- Avoid the sun, tanning bed, or sunlamp. You cannot be treated if you have a sunburn.
6. Acne Scar Laser Treatment is not the only solution to removing Acne Scars.
Depending on the severity of the Acne Scars, Dr Ho will customise a plan that may include not only an Acne Scar Laser Treatment, but also other Acne Scar Removal Treatments such as Subscision, TCA CROSS, Fillers and Microneedle Radiofrequency if necessary.
Subsequent sessions are also needed, with progressive results after each session.
7. One laser treatment is not enough for pigmented scars.
For effective, long-lasting results, Dr Ho will schedule a series of laser treatments. This is often necessary when treating pigmented scars. You won’t have downtime with pigment lasers, but to see the desired results, you may need a few laser treatments.
8. After laser treatment, you’ll need to care for the treated area at home.
Following your dermatologist’s instructions for at-home care after laser treatments will help you see the best results and prevent possible side effects.
9. Results take time to appear.
Be patient. It can take months to see the results of laser scar treatments. Determination and sticking to the plan is very important. It is not advisable to switch clinics in the middle of a treatment plan as it will cause disruption to the results and the new doctor will need to get to know you all over again. It wastes time and sometimes may even cost more.
10. Acne Scar Laser Treatments are not covered by insurance.
Although, you may argue that it is a medical condition, and laser scar treatments can ease the pain and itch that scars sometimes cause, but insurance providers consider it as cosmetic treatments. Health insurance generally does not cover the cost of cosmetic treatments.
While Acne Scar Laser Treatment is well known and can help to reduce the appearance of Acne Scars, it is also important to understand its limitations to avoid disappointment.
Let us know if you are facing issues with Acne Scars. It is always better to take immediate action so that you will be 1 step closer to achieving clear skin again.
Enquire within to find out how we can help you remove your Acne Scars and regain your confidence.